Did you know that stress hormones can actually damage the hippocampus, the memory center of our brains? This can lead to memory loss and dementia. By learning stress reducing techniques one can combat these powerful hormonal responses.
Dr.Mark Hyman author and scholar recommends these practices for calming the mind;
- Identify what is causing you stress.
- Learn how to actively relax – not just zone out to the television.
- Learn skills like meditation, deep breathing, yoga, watch a sunset, or take a relaxing walk.
- Exercise to reduce depression.
- Clean up your diet, especially from caffeine, alcohol, and refined sugars.
- Make sure you are getting all the nutrients your body needs – Kneading Hands has some great herbal infusions that can give your body all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
- Use Adaptogenic herbs to help your body resist stressors. Holy Basil is our favorite at Kneading Hands!
- Use heat as therapy, take a bath or sauna, use heat pads, get a hot stone massage.
- Examine your beliefs, attitudes, and responses to various situations and see if a mind make-over is in order.
- Consciously build up a network of friends, family, and community.
- Have a regular sleep schedule.